The winter 2017 issue of Louisiana Cultural Vistas releases Dec. 1. Click here to purchase a copy.
Our cover story, written by Alexandra Giancarlo with photos from Jeremiah Ariaz, takes us to the trail rides of southwest Louisiana, where Creole residents maintain a long standing, evolving horse riding tradition.
LCV celebrates the new issue with a publication party on Dec. 12, 6pm at the New Orleans Jazz Museum at the Old U.S. Mint. NEH Acting Chairman Jon Parrish Peede will give a talk on the humanities in public life. Click here to RSVP.
This issue also includes:
- Monica Barra talks with Plaquemines Parish residents planning for coastal land loss through the LA SAFE initiative.
- Katy Reckdahl remembers filmmaker Royce Osborn
- Jon Wirt unearths Jayne Mansfield’s tragic last days in Louisiana
- An excerpt from Melissa Daggett’s Spiritualism in Nineteenth-Century New Orleans: The Life and Times of Henry Louis Rey (University Press of Mississippi, 2017)
- Poetry by new Louisiana Poet Laureate Jack Bedell
- Columns by Richard Campanella, Alison Fensterstock, Rien Fertel, and Ben Sandmel
- More stories by Jack Belsom, Hali Dardar, Chris Jay, and Mary Rickard
We also have partner sections from the Historic New Orleans Collection, Louisiana State Museum, Ogden Museum of Southern Art, New Orleans Museum of Art, and Shreveport Regional Arts Council; plus our picks for the summer season.