The Iberville stone was reportedly inscribed by Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville and his party in 1699, when they reached the mouth of the Mississippi River. It was recovered from the site of Fort Maurepas, the first permanent settlement in the Mississippi Valley.
|Time Periods||French Colonial Period|
|Repository||Louisiana State Museum|
|Disclaimer||The Louisiana Endowment has included this work in KnowLouisiana for the purposes of criticism, comment, teaching, scholarship, educational research, all other nonprofit educational usages under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Physical rights are held by the Louisiana State Museum in accordance with U.S. federal copyright laws.|